This 1-day course has been designed for engineers, geologists, mineralogists, environmental scientists, plant operators, marketers, financial advisors and those either dealing with mineral processing (extractive metallurgy) or wanting a better understanding of the principles of extractive metallurgy.
The focus of the course is to look at the science of mineral processing from a non-metallurgist’s point of view. It explores principles of geology, mineralogy, chemistry, mineral processing and economics as they apply to mineral processing unit operations and explains in simple terms, from how metal is geologically detected, extracted from various rocks and minerals to the final metal product.
The course provides an overview of extractive metallurgical principles in the design and operation of process plants but also discusses issues such as metallurgical testwork, metallurgical accounting, environmental management and other common aspects of practical extractive metallurgy.
- Mineral Processes: Mineralogy – Geometallurgy – Ore Terminology- Types of Minerals- Ore Processing – Comminution – Particle Technology – Transport and Storage – Mineral Beneficiation and Extraction – Separation and Classification Processes (Dry and Wet) – Chemical Processes – Hydrometallurgy -Thermal Processes – Pyrometallurgy – Purification and Recovery Processes – Environmental Management
- Schematic Flow Diagram of Mineral Processing
- Ore Preparation Unit Operations: Discussion/Examples and Animations
- Ore Processing/Ore Size Reduction: Crushing – Milling – Various – Comminution
- Particle Technology: Stockpiling – Sorting – Size Separation – Screens and Grizzlies – Feeding – Conveying Storage – Cleaning – Thickening – Filtering Drying – Pollution Control
- Metal Production
Mineral Beneficiation and Extraction: Separation and Classification Processes (Dry and Wet) – Physical – Gravity and Density (wet and dry) – Jigs – Cyclones – Heavy Medium Separation – Physical Processes (wet and dry) – Flotation (Process, Circuits and Surface Chemistry) Magnetic and Electrostatic Separation
Chemical Processes (Hydrometallurgy): Leaching – Chemistry and Reaction Kinetics – Leaching Processes – Counter Current Decantation and Washing – Solution Concentration and Purification – Cementation and Precipitation – Solvent Extraction (SX) – Activated Carbon (CIL and CIP) – Ion Exchange (RIP) – Metal Production – Electrowinning – Typical Flowsheets
Thermal Processes (Pyrometallurgy): Pyrometallurgical Pre- Treatment Processes – Roasting – Calcination – Drying; Smelting – Converting – Refining
- Process Specific Flowsheet and Optimisation Section (For example Gold, BMS, PGM, Iron Ore, etc. specific) – Process Flowsheet – Process Optimisation
- Environmental Management: Environmental Risks – Baseline Assessments, Approvals and Compliance – Tailings Disposal – Water Pollution – Dust Control
- Metal Accounting and Costs: Metallurgical Accounting – Basic Principles – Operating Costs – Fixed/Variable relationships – Components (labour, stores, power, overheads etc).- Capital Costs – Components (direct, indirect and contingencies) – Accuracy & precision – Estimation (scaling, 2/3 rule)
- Typical processes for Major Commodities
- Metal and Mineral final products and applications
For more information please contact course provider www.optiro.com